By Julie Ann Kelly, Nutritional Scientist
Seitan is a vegan meat substitute that can be easily made at home. Nowadays, many families embrace 'Meat Free Monday' or are generally just trying to cut back on their meat consumption. Seitan is an easy substitute to prepare and only needs a few cupboard staples!
- 250g Suma Vital Wheat Gluten
- 50g Inﬁnity chickpea flour
- 30g Marigold Nutritional Yeast Flakes
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder/salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon Biona tomato ketchup
- 2 tablespoons of Biona Worcestershire sauce
- 125ml of Meridian soya sauce
- 375ml of hot water
- 1 Kallo vegetable stock pot
- Mix all of the the dry ingredients together.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, soya sauce and hot water. Pour over the dry ingredients and mix well into a dough like consistency. Allow to rest & expand for 20 minutes.
- Put on a large pot of water to boil and dissolve into it one Kallo stock pot. Add the expanded dough and simmer gently for 1 hour.
- Remove from the water and allow to cool before slicing or cutting in to chunks.