Makes 8-10 fritters
Great as a starter, light lunch, canapes, in a buffet spread. Vegan, vegetarian, gluten and wheat free.
Options for fritters – blanched cauliflower, beetroot, spinach, chard, pumpkin, and butternut squash.
- 50g black kale or other kale
- 50g tofu, diced small
- 50g onion, diced fine
- 100g chickpea flour
- 2tsp (6g) ground coriander seeds
- 2tsp (6g) crushed cumin seeds
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp turmeric
- Good pinch chilli powder
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1tsp kolonji (onion) seeds
- Good pinch garam marsala
- 160ml sparkling water
- Wash and prepare kale, then shred finely. Cook in boiling water for four to five minutes max. Refresh in cold water and squeeze out excess liquid.
- Whisk chickpea flour, spices, baking powder and kolonji seeds with sparkling water till it becomes a fairly smooth, runny batter.
- Add the kale and tofu to the batter and gently mix.
- Using a tablespoon, carefully shallow fry fritters in hot oil (180 C) for approx three minutes, gently turning till golden brown.
- Remove and drain onto kitchen paper.
- Serve with beetroot and cumin raita.
*Sponsored by the Irish Institute of Nutrition & Health
Maggie Lynch presents a range of Taste of Health cooking demonstration classes along with husband Richard Burton, Director of the Irish Institute of Nutrition & Health. These include Gluten/wheat free cooking, Healthy Fast Food for Kids, Eating for Health with Diabeties, and Wholefoods for Health.