Day 5 of our National Vegetarian Week challenge and we’re still standing! Sometimes it can be difficult to not jump directly to a bean burger when you are given beans as an ingredient with the clause that you must create a vegetarian friendly dish attached. Whilst we arguably kept it in the family perhaps with this sweet potato and chickpea fritter, we still think we gave branching out a solid go!
Mystery Box Five Contents:
- Meridian light tahini
- Biona chickpeas
- Biona chilli beans
- Sunita lemon juice
- Chia bia chia seeds
Sweet potatoes have become such a popular staple for many that we were delighted to include it in our fritter today.
- 2-3 tsp Meridian tahini
- 2 x cans Biona chickpeas
- 1 x can Biona chilli beans
- 3 teaspoons Sunita lemon juice
- ½ tsp Chia bia chia seeds soaked in 2 tbsp. filtered water
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 2 crushed garlic cloves
- 1 finely diced small onion
- 1 small bunch of fresh coriander
- Salt, pepper, seasoning to taste
- ½ cup flour sieved
- 1 tbsp. coconut oil
- Salad to dress as desired
- Peel sweet potatoes and bake in oven at 170°C until tender. Cooking time will vary depending on the size of potato pieces.
- Remove cooked potato from the oven when ready and add to a bowl with Biona chickpeas, Biona chilli beans and finely diced onion. When mixture is well combined, add in soaked Chia bia chia mix, Meridian garlic, sieved flour and seasoning to taste and mash once more.
- Shape your mixture by hand into desired size fritters.
- Heat coconut oil in a pan until hot and place fritters on top until crispy.
- Bake in oven for 10-15 minutes until hot the whole way through.
- Serve to taste!
Our thoughts: Can anyone really say no to a Friday Fritter…. We served ours with grilled aubergine and a lightly dressed tossed rocket, radish and tomato salad for a little refreshing kick. Absolutely spot on dish! Admittedly we have loved all our dishes so there is a chance that we are just very easy to please…..