Welcome to day 3 of our National Vegetarian Week challenge! We have loved finding new ways to use tofu over the past two days, but today we are tofu free. Our box today meant we had to bring beans and quinoa together with tahini, lemon juice and Herbamare. We love bean burgers so decided to make a spicy bean and quinoa burger with a tahini sauce to add some more flavour to our buns
Mystery Box Three Contents:
- Rainbow Quinoa
- Biona Chilli Beans & Biona Red Kidney Beans
- Sunita lemon juice
- Meridian Light Tahini
- Herbamare Spicy Seasoning Salt from A.Vogel
In past attempts of bean burger creations, we have ended up with bean crumble instead as the burgers never held their shape. So this was a little bit more challenging for us than you might think!
- 1 cup Rainbow Quinoa
- 1 tin Biona Chilli Beans and 1 tin Biona Red Kidney Beans
- 2 cloves crushed garlic
- 1 tbsp. Sunita lemon juice
- ¼ cup Meridian light tahini paste
- 2 tbsp. Sunita olive oil
- 2tsp Herbamare Spicy Seasoning Salt from A.Vogel
- 3 tsp lemon juice
- Burger buns, salad and cheese to dress if desired
- 1 small onion
- Add 2 cups of water to a saucepan and stir in Rainbow quinoa. Bring to a boil, cover and allow to simmer on a reduced heat for roughly 20 minutes or until all the water is absorbed.
- When your quinoa has cooled, add to a food processor with drained Biona beans, onion, tomato, garlic and Herbamare Spicy Seasoning Salt to taste.
- Blitz the mixture until it is fairly well combined.
- Remove mixture and shape into patties. Ideally allow to chill in the fridge for an hour or two, to help the mixture hold its shape.
- Preheat oven to 210°C and brush Sunita olive oil onto a baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes, flip and bake again for 10 minutes. Cooking times may vary depending on the size of your patties so keep an eye on your burgers!
- For the dressing, mix Sunita lemon juice, Sunita olive oil and Meridian light tahini pace together. Season with Herbamare Spicy Seasoning Salt from A.Vogel.
- Apply sauce to buns and dress burger as desired.
Our thoughts: To be honest we were just so relieved our burgers held their shape! They turned out very nicely and weren’t overly filling, and our independent board of samplers agreed they would be worth making again. When it comes to the dressing our advice is to taste as you go and tailor the quantities of each addition to your own taste. The dressing would also be a lovely addition to bring a salad together.
Who knows what tomorrow will bring with mystery box number 4!