MEDIA RELEASE | 12.06.15
Saw Palmetto – a man’s best friend against enlarged prostate
Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH), more commonly known as enlarged prostate, is a very common condition affecting approximately 50% of men over the age of 50. The condition is linked with the swelling of the prostate gland located at the base of the bladder, due to an increase in cells, and can be extremely uncomfortable to live with.
Prostate health is extremely important but often overlooked or avoided due to its embarrassing nature. BPH is a very common problem and should not be confused with prostate cancer which although seen less frequently, is the most common male cancer and getting a diagnosis early can help detect it at a more treatable stage. However, for the vast majority, getting their prostate symptoms checked out will result in a sense of relief when they realise they have a non-cancerous and treatable condition.
BPH is associated with a number of common symptoms, including a need to urinate frequently (particularly in the middle of the night), a feeling of incomplete emptying (that the bladder is never fully empty) and a poor stream flow, hesitancy (stopping and starting) and dribbling at the end of urination.
There are a number of ways to treat BPH and the approach is likely to differ depending on the severity of the condition. A recent long-term study by Slovenian urologists [i] showed the efficacy and safety of drug with Saw Palmetto plant extract in patients with mild to moderate BPH. The conclusions were clear – the 12 months treatment against enlarged prostate with Saw Palmetto berries, used to make A.Vogel’s Prostosan capsules, revealed an improvement both in the International Prostate Symptom Scores and the Uroflow measurements after only 6 months and continuous improvement until the end of the study. There was no further prostate growth during the treatment and the results also showed that unlike medicines for BPH prescribed by doctors, Prostasan does not cause erectile dysfunction or decrease of libido.
Making lifestyle changes such as exercising regularly and good dietary choices, in combination with a licensed natural remedy like saw palmetto, can make a difference. A.Vogel’s nutritional therapist, Alison Cullen suggest the following tips to help to manage the symptoms:
- Take zinc; which is excellent for the health of the prostate. Zinc is found in oysters, pumpkin seeds, oats, peas, barley, almonds, buckwheat, brown rice, adzuki beans, eggs, apples and onions.
- Take Essential Fatty Acids (EFAs); which may help reduce inflammation in the prostate. These are found in nuts and seeds, or you can take an Omega 3 supplement daily. Pumpkin seeds contain both zinc and EFAs and are therefore a good snack food to chew on.
- Reduce alcohol consumption to reduce inflammatory processes. The more inflammation is present in your body generally, the more likely you are to have inflammation in the prostate. Alcohol, caffeine, highly processed food, refined sugar and smoking all increase inflammation in your system. Cut them down or out to reduce the pressures on your prostate.
- Stay active: Exercise can help maintain a healthy weight, which also decreases the inflammation response in your body. Walking, swimming, jogging, golfing or tennis are equally good for you and your prostate’s health.
- Drink enough water: Try to drink at least 1.5 L a day in small amounts at regular intervals throughout the day. Concentrated urine irritates the sensitive lining of the bladder, making you feel as if you need to go all the time. By diluting the urine, the bladder will happily hold more for longer, without you feeling uncomfortable. Try and see!
Some health problems are an unavoidable side effect of aging, so it’s also necessary to go to your GP for regular check-ups. For more information on BPH/enlarged prostate or to check your symptoms, visit: http://www.avogel.co.uk/health/enlarged-prostate/bph/
– ENDS –
[i] Trsinar B, Lovsin M, Bratus D, Parac I, Kreft S: efficacy and safety of drug with plant extract pf Saw Palmetto in patients with lower urinary tract symptoms because benign prostatic enlargement. Zdrav Vestn 2014: 83: 26-35.
For further information, samples and images please contact Barbara Tomaz at Wholefoods
E: firstname.lastname@example.org | T: 01-626 2315
Notes to Editor:
- Product Information – Prostasan®:
- Prostasan is A.Vogel’s herbal remedy for enlarged prostate, containing an extract of Saw Palmetto berries. It is a licensed traditional herbal remedy used to treat the urinary symptoms of BPH in men with a diagnosis of benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH).
- Vogel Prostasan (30 tabs) is priced at €17.45 (RSP) and is available in pharmacies nationwide.
- Vogel Saw Palmetto 50ml tincture is priced at €10.99 (RSP) and is available in health food stores nationwide.
- Always read the leaflet.