To celebrate National Vegetarian Week 2016, we at Wholefoods decided to issue a mystery box challenge to some amazing food bloggers. We put our thinking hats on and chose some staple ingredients to send to each of our bloggers. We were so excited to see the creativity and the diversity of our selected core ingredients, we decided to take the challenge ourselves! Whilst we had to use our key ingredients, any cupboard staples were also allowed be used in the dish. Welcome to day one of the mystery box challenge!
Mystery Box One Contents:
- Keen smooth almond nut butter
- Biona organic tofu
- Teapigs mathca on-the-go
- Clearspring Agar flakes
- Provamel Almond Milk
After an intensive brainstorming session, we decided to try and make a Matcha tea and vanilla Tofu cheesecake on an almond butter base with these ingredients. We were slightly apprehensive for a few reasons as to how this would turn out but we were not disappointed! Creamy and light this cheesecake is refreshing and super easy to make!
- 3 tbsp. Keen smooth almond nut butter
- 200g Biona organic tofu
- 2 sachets of Teapigs mathca on-the-go
- 15g Clearspring Agar flakes
- 60g Provamel Almond Milk
- 70g water
- 100g biscuits of choice
- 250g cream cheese
- 200g natural yoghurt
- 100g icing sugar
- 1tsp Vanilla essence.
- Prepare your cake tin by lining and greasing. Smash up your biscuits, stir the Keen nut butter into the melted butter and mix with biscuits. Push down into the tin and allow base to chill in fridge for a few hours.
- Remove Biona Tofu from jar, place on a plate sandwiched between paper towels. Put a heavy object on top to squeeze out excessive moisture. We only left it for 20/25 minutes as it did not need to be overly firm for this dish.
- Add Clearspring Agar flakes to boiling water so that they are just covered. Allow to simmer for ten minutes and cool.
- Add five tbsp. boiling water to Teapigs on-the-go matcha tea sachets and stir.
- Pop Biona tofu, cream cheese, yoghurt, icing sugar and vanilla essence into a blender and blitz until nice and smooth.
- Pour in Clearspring Agar mixture and blend again until it is nicely mixed.
- Half the mixture and stir Teapigs matcha on-the-go into one batch of the mixture.
- Scoop alternate spoons of the mixtures on top of the biscuit base to create contrast. Swirl a skewer through the top of the mixture to create a pattern if desired.
- Allow to set in the fridge overnight.
- Pop the kettle on and enjoy a slice!
Our thoughts: We will definitely be making this dish again! Generally when people think of tofu, they tend to have more savoury visions so we are delighted with the success of this dish and to see that these ingredients can be used to make such a tasty dessert.
Bring on mystery box number 2!