- 3 large beets, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger, minced
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon shredded unsweetened coconut, toasted
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
1. In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and sauté for five minutes. Add ginger and cook for another 5 minutes, stirring often.
2. Add vegetable stock and beets and bring to a boil. Cover, lower heat and let simmer for approx. 20-30 minutes or until beets are tender.
3. Using a handheld blender, purée the soup. Add coconut milk, salt and pepper and stir.
4. Serve in bowls and garnish with toasted shredded coconut. Enjoy with kamut or whole grain bread.
By Sophia Zergiotis